Anthropologie Inspired Tree Topper Craft 3. Late last week I found myself in a certain favorite store perusing their seasonal displays. I picked up their recent catalog and found myself enamored with the Mystic Nest Tree Topper. It was a crown of sorts truly fit for a magical snow queen. Alas, it had a price tag that was also reserved for royalty.
Anthropologie Inspired Tree Topper Craft 3
It made me think about my own tree topper if you call one huge velvet bow a tree topper. It was tired and I had lost that loving feeling. So I grabbed a glue gun and a few supplies and created this:
This tree topper was made to my taste and for a lot less money. Here are the supplies that I started with:
- 10-inch styrofoam wreath bought for another project over a year ago.
- One white dove found in the still overflowing craft closet.
- Barbara Trombley’s Art Ultrafine Art Glitter, color: moondust
- Jim Holtz Distress Ink, color: vintage photo
- Assorted pearl picks purchased from Michaels after Christmas sale last year for like 22 cents a piece. (I checked and they carry the same picks this year.)
- Wired tinsel in gold and white.
- Vintage sheet music
- Mod Podge
- The good ole glue gun
Music lovers please cover your ears while I randomly tear the sheet music into strips and apply it to the styrofoam base with Mod Podge.
A Crown For Jesus
Next, it was time to stick in the picks. I made a hole first with a toothpick and then gingerly eased in the picks so I didn’t damage the glitter coatings. (The first pick I just tried to jam into the styrofoam and it disintegrated.) I didn’t have enough picks to suit my taste so I hot glued on a few mini silver pine cones I had leftover from a display last year. Then I took apart the pearl picks and randomly scattered the beads throughout what I had begun to tell my kids was a “Crown for Jesus”.
I’ve seen some aged birds around blog land. I have no idea how they are created. I imagine it may have something to do with tea dying, but I was in a hurry. So I just took a cosmetic sponge and dabbed a little distress ink onto it and then onto the bird. I put a bit of glue onto the beak, tail and wing feathers and then covered the areas with a bit of glitter. I then clipped off a wee piece of tinsel and hot glued it around the neck and covered the ends with a pearl. The bird was then applied onto the crown with the glue gun. Tres Magnifique!