The day after Thanksgiving I mailed out 97 Christmas cards complete with a charming holiday newsletter and family photo.
All gifts were purchased, wrapped and, if necessary, shipped to friends and relatives far and wide by the second week of December.
Cookies were baked and shared with the neighbors.
A holiday party was hosted.
The Christmas Eve/Day menu has been planned and 98% of the ingrediants have been purchased. The remaining 2% will be selected tomorrow so that they will be “fresh”.
Yes my friends, according to what we are being told by the media, I have “Won the Holidays!”
Photo by Hospitable Pursuits.
But none of those things really made me feel like a winner.
Truthfully I just felt…tired… from all the “fluff” I had accomplished.
This week my goals were/are:
Drive the kids and dogs around to see the Christmas lights~ check!
Catch up on the pile of magazines that I have been hoarding since September~ check!
Go to the movies~ check!
Eat cookies for breakfast~ check!
Watch a Hallmark Christmas movie at least once a day~ who else needs to vent about “The Bridge”?
Binge watch all 8 Harry Potter films with the kids~ can you believe I’ve never seen any of them?
Not get dressed before noon. (So far, I am once again WINNING! :)
But even so, none of these things will give me a Christmas heart that threatens to grow three sizes.
Today my family and I will go to the home of another family, who lost their husband and father in a accident recently, for a day of rememberance.
This occasion will neither be Merry nor Bright. Indeed it will be the exact opposite.
But to show up for a family in need, during the hustle and bustle of Christmas, to show we care…
That my friends, to me, is WINNING CHRISTMAS.
In this season of love and giving I want to take a moment to thank each and every one of you who has supported the 2015 fund raising efforts of Decor To Adore. Because of your generous purchases and donations you have helped countless animals, children and a family in need.
Those who give from the heart will always WIN THE HOLIDAYS!
Perhaps because they know this secret:
I’m signing off until next Monday so that I can give my family the gift of being present.
Merry Christmas and God Bless Us, Everyone!